Monday, February 23, 2009

20__The early years: DC projects

Ha, I know how ridiculous that title sounds. It hasn't been very long at all. Most of these projects were completed barely a year (or less) ago. But in a way it's a distinction that should be made, since my shop has grown so dramatically since the move - so too the projects have grown in scope and complexity. With this introduction, I want to showcase a few of my favorite projects from the past couple years.

First is a planter for a small herb garden. With a few tomato plants, cucumbers, basil & cilantro, this box soon became dwarfed by the height of plants and the vines growing down the sides and around the fences. Here is an image barely a few weeks past its completion.



By far the most complex project I'd built at the time, it maxed out the capabilities I had with my one miter saw, drill, and a finish nailer. The design features an inner box (painted black and lined with tarp to provide a moisture barrier between the wood & soil) with bands of weather-treated wood wrapping around the exterior. The clean lines and proportions are something I believe to be quite a success.
-------------------

A second generation project, this shoerack was my first true commission - at a whole $2/hour above the cost of materials. I really couldn't have cared less, a chance to share something conceived from my head to her living room for years to come.



I had built the first version for Nicole, and seeing it at a party our friend asked for one of her own. After having just tested the construction methods for the first time, I knew the setbacks to improve, giving a remarkably better result.



Because you're probably wondering how you use this unconventional shoe/shirt/towel/wine rack, check out a picture of it full:


-------------------

This may be the earliest hack I built, dating back to 2003. But it still holds an important place in the Florida Ave kitchen today. But of course: the Blamp.



Find a vintage blender, cut its cord, remove the blades, frost the glass and rig a lamp. It's the type of project I love - with a glow that perfect for backlighting the otherwise shadowy kitchen counters. If only I could have wired the buttons to turn on/off/dim the light, then it would have been genius.
-------------------

Keeping it in the kitchen, I wanted to clear clutter from the counter in a house shared by six. I saw an opportunity to use the wall space for a spice rack, making the dozens of them all readily accessible. It even incorporates the wall outlet, spacing it between the shelves on the far right.



The deep mahogany stain compliments the medium oak tones in the cabinets and contrasts the pale yellow wall color beautifully. Compare with a before photo below (should have put taken the spices out of the pantry for this one).



Here's a testament that simple and very affordable change can dramatically improve the atmosphere and functionality of the rooms we spend so much of our lives.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

We got really excited when you forgot the blamp as it has a hallowed and much loved place in our kitchen. I think the spice rack is actually what impresses people the most because it's...well...perfect.